Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday - The One Thing

I consistently struggle with my To Do list. I make it and don't accomplish everything. I don't make it, and *shocker* I don't accomplish anything. I think about things that I need or want to do, but don't write it down, and if I ever even think about it again, I realize... I won't do that until I write it down somewhere.

I have issues.

This is not new information.

I think I may have found a solution for keeping up on the obvious stuff.

Let's back it up for a second. I should share that we have a rather large house. Not ridiculous, and it's only a 3 bedroom. But the living areas? They're big. It's a serious chore to vacuum just one level of this house. Don't even get me started on the 2.5 baths.

When we first got married we lived in a house that would fit in my car. Okay, since I don't even have a car at the moment that is obviously a shameless exaggeration. But I'm telling ya, it was small. I could clean the whole place in 3 hours and barely bust a sweat. And I mean spit shine, not just pick up...

Bla bla bla. Let me get to the point. (I heard that and you're welcome.)

I've decided to focus on the one thing that has to be done. Who can't accomplish one thing in a day? If I do at least one big thing each day, then eventually - I will be doing very light cleaning everyday. I've also found that when I get in the groove, I get a lot more than just the one thing done.  Something about knowing I only have to do the one thing, makes it so much easier to get started.  I've only been doing it for about a week, but so far - it's working for me!

Looking for more helpful tips?  Visit We are THAT Family for Works for me Wednesday.

8 comments:

  1. I may just try this. I make lists too but never accomplish much. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also get overwhelmed by my to-do list. I've tried a lot of things (like playing Bingo, drawing the chore out of a jar, ect.) but nothing stays with me for long.

    Your idea sounds great. I'll be giving it a try this week. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl...you're catching on!!! :)
    Haha, smack me... :)
    Yeah, so if you do keep up on the "small" stuff each day (even just a quick jaunt around the house before bed to tidy up), it makes things sooo much easier throughout the week.

    I'm a clean FREAK. Somethings all wrong when my house isn't clean (like I'm sick or something, or haven't been home...like last week, sigh). I have an actual reason I need to be clean (can't have a dusty house with a child allergic to dust and bad asthma!) so I'm motivated simply by that. But some days it's hard. I will admit. Just clean up as you go...like the kitchen...when I cook, I also clean up in the kitchen. Some people (like my husband...err, and many other husbands I've heard) just "don't get it". I'm waiting for the day it "clicks" with Mike...it's so much easier to clean up as you go then cook, make a giant mess, and then try to get up and clean it after you're all stuffed and want to just relax. (That's just a side example.)

    Have you heard of Flylady? I think it's flylady.com or something? A few of my friends from back in the day got involved reading her site and implementing her awesome ideas to "stay on track"...you're a voracious reader, you might enjoy checking her site out. :)

    P.S. Keeping a house clean with a dog is really hard. I don't envy you there. They just shed and shed and shed and slobber and track dirt in the house and well you get the point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your get going pain, sister. It is so hard to get rolling sometimes. I love a clean house like most mama's do and it never fails...if I relax and let some things slide by...my doorbell rings and it's someone who doesn't have a wrecked house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT idea! When my life gets really crazy I try to focus on the one thing I have to do in the next half hour.

    And, to brighten your day, you just won a Honey Kix prize pack over on my blog, Flexible Dreams! Email me at momaloy(at)gmail(dot)com with your address and I'll get that right out to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was feeling a little bit overwhelmed this weekend. My husband gave me this exact advice. He said just pick one thing each day to do and focus on that. If you get more done it is icing on the cake but only focus on one thing for now. That is what I have been doing.

    I'm not getting as much done as I have at various times in the past but I am not paralyzed by an overwhelming amount of stuff to do either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Must be a common theme for today. I wrote about my new to-do list plan! One thing shouldn't be too hard to accomplish daily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great! I decided to tackle one project on my house per week this year and so far it has helped me not become overwhelmed with how much needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete