Friday, July 9, 2010

Isn't It Ironic?

It's so much more enjoyable to run with a friend. Even if it is at 5:30 am. Also known as dark thirty... We have strict rules though. No talking while running. Why? Thanks for asking. Because it takes complete concentration to not keel over, and if I lose my breathing rhythm, I also lose the ability to be alive.... So we listen to our iPods for the very short period of time while we are running, neither far nor fast. I usually go for the shuffle option and sometimes find it incredibley amusing which songs come up.

If God really is in the details, and I firmly believe that He is, then I will tell you right now: He has a sense of humor.

One day, I was seriously about to burst into flames. It was the only day that I actually ran in the middle of the day. And it was a scorcher. Right at the worst part of the route, an old alternative song that I used to LOVE came on. One of the lines that is repeated through out the song is, "Pardon me, while I burst into flames." It was all I could do to contain myself. If it wasn't for the fragile life or death situation I found myself in, I would have burst out laughing...

Then yesterday, we were running a different route and had gone the furthest we had gone up to this point. I really wanted to stop, but was trying to break into the record books by running over a mile. (That is huge for me, and just as a snarky aside, I'm convinced that people who run actual marathons are liars. I think they all go watch a movie somewhere and all agree to lie about the fact that they ran 26 miles. How in the WORLD is that even possible?!?!?!?) So back to me wanting, yet totally not wanting to stop... I'm seriously ready to cash it in and the song Run It comes on.

I also firmly believe that God can speak through anything, including Hip Hop music.

Thankfully, not far into the song, my partner-in-torture grunted or gasped or something signaling she was about to burst into flames, too.

So we stopped.

And that's the only reason I lived to blog about it.

Do you run? My apologies (and mad props) if you are a marathon runner. If they ever show a chic flick, let me know. Maybe I'll join you. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure Stephen isn't watching anything during his marathons, except maybe his life flash before his eyes at mile 21 or hallucinations of Satan at mile 25. Marathoners may not be liars, but they are definitely lunatics. Why else would they train for 12 weeks to run a 4 hour race inspired by someone dying at the end?

    Great job on your running progress!! Your one mile is more than I'd care to run.

    ReplyDelete