Friday, July 16, 2010

Black Beans and Yellow Rice

I'm having a wild love affair with all things cilantro and lime. When I came across a recipe for beans and rice that called for, you guessed it, cilantro and lime, I had to make it. I made a mental note to pick up a saffron rice packet, which I did. Then I proceeded to completely forget where I even saw the recipe. Then weeks went by. Then I was searching high and low for a CD and I could no longer ignore my desk-in-a-milk-crate, so I dumped it out and sorted and tossed and filed and almost cried at my complete inability to throw things away. And then I rejoiced because I had finally found the recipe. (The CD is still #1 on my most wanted list. You can't have it all people, you can't have it all.)

And now, so that it doesn't happen again - I give you, from Southern Living Quick and Easy Weeknight Favorites:

Black Beans and Yellow Rice

1 (5 ounce) package saffron rice mix
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided

Garnishes: sour cream, sliced green onions

Cook rice according to package directions, keep warm. Meanwhile, drain beans, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid. Combine beasn, reserved liquid, lime juice, chili powder, and cumin in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stir in 1 tablespoon cilantro.

Serve beans over rice, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro. Garnish if desired, Yield 3 servings.

Huh. Now that I read through the recipe, I realize I totally made this wrong. I dumped all of the other ingredients into the cooked yellow rice, stirred it and served it. It was extra limey, and I bet it would have been better had I READ THE WHOLE RECIPE. Nice.

Als0 - I bought a 10 ounce package of the saffron rice, so I doubled everything else and it made a ton! I served it as a side with steaks, but it would make a very hearty lunch or would be fine for a vegetarian dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Ya know, I used to think that cilantro tasted like I was trying to choke down metal (Emily can vouch for this dilemma) but somehow, miraculously, over the past year I've sorta become hooked on it too. Who knew?! Nothing beats a homemade pico. And pico without cilantro, well, it's just not right.

    Bringing me full-circle to the point...I think I'm going to have to try this recipe when we return from our little trip across the big pond! ;)

    ReplyDelete