Monday, August 2, 2010

Don't Give Up

Ever feel like disciplining a toddler is a waste of your time? I've so been there. A lot lately.

I really like the idea of "yes, mom." When I say something to anyone, I like some sort of confirmation. Being ignored is not my favorite thing. So when I give a command or even state a fact to my 2 year old, I want something in response. Many times, I'll say - "It's time for lunch, okay?" (Not to be confused with "would you like to eat lunch now?" Because that's not what I'm asking.) Whenever I say something ending with an okay, I have been saying to Chloe, "say okay." Now. It kind of defeats the purpose if I have to tell her to say it, but you have to start somewhere, right?

I also say to her often, after telling her what to do (or not do), "do you understand me?" When I first started saying it, I would say, immediately afterwards, "say, yes mommy." And while it took forever, and I again felt like it was a waste of time, and that she would never catch on, she finally automatically says, "yes, mommy" every time I say, "do you understand me?" And more often than not, when I say something with an "okay?" at the end, she replies with "okay".

When she was small, I started this with saying please and thank you. Even before she was able to say it. I'm so glad I did, because now that she can say it and does understand it, it's like second nature. Of all the things that people say to me about Chloe, I hear that she is very polite most often.

I say all of this to say, don't give up! When it seems like your correction and teaching is fruitless, know that with time and consistency, it will pay off.

Galatians 6:9

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

What have you had to persevere in that truly paid off where discipline is concerned?

2 comments:

  1. Great post Rachel! I think it's true with any kind of discipline/character development...you just have to be consistent and keep at it. If you don't want kids jumping of the dining room table, you can't wait until they're 5 to let them know. What seems "cute" at 1 or 2 is sometimes not so cute when they go to school :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really true, Rachel. With Mike having been gone for the last 3 months, I am reaping the rewards of the hard work I put into the kids in their younger years. They have been so helpful!

    btw, I love the verse from Galatians

    ReplyDelete