Sunday, August 16, 2009

I Never Knew I Had So Much Will Power...

Until I went an entire year without eating chocolate.

Yes, you read that right.  I haven't eaten chocolate in over a year. 

Here's the reader's digest version...

I found out when I was 21 that I was allergic to chocolate.  I looked the allergist square in the face and said.  "Oh, well."  I didn't get rid of my dog either, so you might say I wasted that trip. I actually found out I was allergic to scads of things I ate all the time.  Things I didn't even know you could be allergic to.  Like pork.  And potatoes.  Seriously?  Potatoes?

So I continued to go on about my business for the next 10 years.  I ate what I wanted when I wanted.  Cantalope, cucumbers and green peppers made my throat itch and since I was scured my throat might close, I actually stopped eating those items.  But the potatoes, chocolate, peanuts - for crying out loud - I continued to eat them.

Fast forward to the birth of my daughter.  When she was very young it seemed she always had a rash on her face.  I was convinced that it was the SPF in my lip balm.  I switched lip balms.  It was not, in fact, the SPF in my lip balm.

I had stopped over to my midwife's, and she was convinced it was from food allergies.  Could it be?  Could it be that my eating things that I probably shouldn't was giving my precious little baby a rash, not to mention ruining countless photo ops?  I started paying closer attention to what I was eating and how it seemed to be effecting her through my breast milk.  

I did not like what I found.

Chocolate was the worst.

Isn't it funny though, how I didn't care that my own body wasn't a huge fan, but the minute it caused harm to my baby, I was like - Boom!  Cold turkey.  Good bye to all of the loves of my life.  Mom's are funny that way, no?

So.  It has been a year since I quit eating chocolate.  Now.  To make a long story, that I already promised to keep short, longer...

I was one of those oh so lucky/blessed souls who dropped my pregnancy weight with no effort whatsoever.  Even my doctor looked at me funny when I went in to my 6 week check up and was basically back to prepregnancy weight.  Was it the breastfeeding?  Maybe.  Probably.  About 4 months into breastfeeding, I stopped eating all of the foods I was allergic to.  I continued to lose weight.  This was perplexing to me.  I nursed for a year and then weaned.  At this point, I was 17 pounds lighter than when I conceived.  I continued to abstain from the offending foods.  I figured if my diet remained unchanged, it would be a a true test of what was helping me stay so slim.  I had heard tales of friends losing weight while nursing, only to gain it back after weaning.  So I waited.  2 months went by.  Then 3.  Then 4.  No change in weight.  Meanwhile Girl Scout Cookies went on sale.  Sweet Mother of Thin Mints, I wanted to eat chocolate.  I continued to wait.

Can you believe I caved on potatoes first?  

Me neither. 

I've decided to add stuff back slowly and observe the changes as I go.  Can you tell I was a science teacher in a former life?

I think, chances are good that chocolate is the culprit.  I don't know how long I'll hold off. Lately my thoughts have been overwhelmed with:

Oreos
Klondike Bars
Dove Chocolates
Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nutella
Triple Chocolate Meltdown Cake from Applebee's  - Oh how I miss you TCM Cake!
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Skorr Bars
Butterfingers
Snickers
Mackinaw Island Fudge Ice Cream
All manner of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, most especially Chubby Hubby and Mint Chocolate Cookie
Hot Chocolate
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
No Bake Cookies
Peppermint Mochas
Thin Mints
Andes Mints
York Peppermint Patties
Homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries
BROWNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!  How could I forget the BROWNIES!?!?!?!?!

And so many other things that I can't seem to think of right now.

God help my waistline and grocery budget, if and when I go back to the dark side.

Oh yes, the dark side.  Dark chocolate Lindor Truffles. 

Praise Jesus, Hallelujah.

No comments:

Post a Comment