Monday, January 5, 2009

My New Year's Resolution...

has been the same for the last several years. I have resolved to not have a New Year's Resolution. I have been wildly successful!



Honestly, for me, I think it's kind of silly to wait until January 1st to get serious about your goals, if you have them. I have resolved to read the Bible from cover to cover on more than one occasion, usually on January 1st. I've still never done it. Last year, actually just a couple of months ago, I decided to start keeping track of the books of the Bible that I do read. I write the year in small print, next to the title of the book. At all times, I'm reading through Proverbs, and at least one other book. Right now, it's II Samuel. I love King David. I figure if a guy like that can be a 'man after God's own heart', than there is surely hope for me. :) So, this year - I look forward to reading more of God's Word than I did last year.



I also look forward to being more organized and intentional about meal planning. My days are so full of caring for Chloe and attempting to keep our house in order, that many times - 4 o'clock gets here before I've even had a chance to think about what's for dinner. I usually come up with something to whip together, and sometimes it even tastes good... ;) My hope is that I can start stocking the freezer with delicious things that can be popped into the crock pot or oven and be ready with little or no prep work. Today, I made an enormous pot of chili and will be freezing it in meal sized zip lock bags. We love chili, and eat it often in the winter time. So, if my plan works, I will only have to actually cook chili once or twice a year, but we can still have it every few weeks.

If you have an easy and affordable recipe that freezes well, please pass it on. I hope to do large batches once or twice a week, and eventually, those will be the only times I have to cook. Don't get me wrong, I love to cook. I love to make new things, experiment and make us delicious meals. But time, money and motivation are not plentiful these days... If my freezer is full, that doesn't mean I can't cook something new or fresh, it just means I don't have to. I like that idea. I find even when I love to do something, if I have to - it takes all the fun out of it!

I stand by not having a resolution. After all, that's one of the only things I consistenly follow through on. However, I look forward to more of Jesus and more organization with our meals.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment