Monday, January 11, 2010

Saving Cicadas by Nicole Seitz

Saving Cicadas by Nicole Sietz is the story of Priscilla Macy, the single mother of two daughters, who is pregnant and unsure what to do about it. The journey she embarks on with her family is her only hope of finding herself and the answers she desperately seeks. Their journey takes them into the past, exposes the truth of their present and has a profound effect on their future.

Saving Cicadas may well be the most unique book I’ve ever read. I will be honest, there were moments when I hated this book. Having finished, I’m a little undecided. This is not the first time I’ve experienced a shocking twist in a novel, but I don’t know that I have ever felt betrayed, and that is the only word that comes to mind. I appreciate what the author was trying to do, I’m just not in love with the way she went about doing it. Ultimately, I think the true test of a work of fiction is the author’s ability to draw you into the story. I cannot deny her skill in creating characters that you can’t help but love, and her ability to weave a story that you can’t put down until you know just how it all works out in the end.

Thomas Nelson has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment