Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Homestrech and One of My Most Embarrasing Moments

Well, kids...  It's the second to the last day of school.  We have nearly survived kindergarten.  I would like the record to reflect that I didn't make Chloe late for school all year.  Not one time.  This is an acheivement I never thought possible.  I must give credit where credit is due.  Of the 168 school days, I probably drove her to school less than 60 of them. My amazing car pool buddy is a MORNING PERSON.  She LIKES waking up.  While I don't understand this phenomenon, I am thankful that it exists and that I am blessed enough to have such a person come to my house every morning and deliver my progeny to school.  On Time.

When I was responsible for getting myself to school on time, it didn't go quite so smoothly, despite the fact that I lived one block from the school.  I usually left in time to get to school on time, but I chose to drive outside of town to pick up my bestie.  We were late pretty much every day.  How we didn't get in major trouble, I'm really not sure. I think the attendance lady, who most people complained about, found me amusing.  And really, who could blame her? Thinking back on it, I'm glad I could bring some humor to her otherwise mundane job.  She was usually pretty grouchy and kinda mean, but I remember one day when she got a good laugh.  At our expense...

Usually it was the same story.  I'm late.  Because I didn't get up early enough.  But sometimes what happened after that was so entertaining I couldn't help but share. This morning in particular, a great number of people got a pretty good laugh out of our late arrival...

It was a snowy morning and I was, of course, late. I had picked up G and we had finally made it to school.  As we raced into the parking lot, too fast for summertime, but especially too fast for a snowy winter morning, we were about to make the slight turn right in front of the school.  The front window was to the classroom that we were supposed to have reported to 10 minutes ago.  There was a fairly large pile of snow right outside of the classroom window, due to the recent plowing. We didn't stand a chance.  I hit the ice and rather than making the slight turn, I continued forward, careening headlong into the pile of snow.

That was right outside of our first hour classroom's window.

That we were supposed to have reported to 10 minutes earlier.

So, that was awesome.

I should add that I drove a highly recognizable vehicle, so there was no mistaking who it was stuck in front of the school.  You don't ride around in 1978 Buick Skylark in the mid 90s and go unnoticed.

Oh, those were the days.  When my biggest responsibility was getting myself to school on time.  And despite the fact that I was completely incapable of doing so, not much came of it.

So you can see why I am so proud of myself (and shocked) to be able to say that Chloe was not late to school one time. Perhaps there is hope that she will not be voted "Most Likely to be Late to Her Own Funeral" by her senior class.

Like her mother was.

It was a landslide.

Oh, the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment