Monday, September 13, 2010

Fruit of Righteousness

I've been reading through my prayer journal and two days in a row I've been struck by a passage of scripture I felt God wanted me to focus on for this year. Philippians (one of my favorite books, by the way...) 1:9-11 says ~

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

What stands out to me in this passage is what results from the abounding love. We are filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ. We don't produce the fruit ourselves. We are filled with it. It's not our efforts, but what Christ can do. It's always about Jesus, and never about ourselves. How different would your life be, if you lived according to that? Mine would be unrecognizable. Here's hoping no one knows who the heck I am, sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment