Saturday, October 10, 2009

My New Friend

The hubs and I went to Florida this week.  He had a trade show he had to work at, and I had a free hotel room to stay in.  

Woo-hoo!

The flight down was one of the most interesting I've ever had.  When we sat down this older lady was next to me.  She said, "Oh!  I was noticing you and your husband in front of me in the check in line." Then I heard her on the phone to her husband, "I'm sitting next to that nice couple in front of us in line!"

If you know me, you know I am chatty Cathy.  And boy did I live up to that one.  

We talked the entire two and half hour flight.  And it was wonderful.  

She raised four children and took care of and helped to raise several of her grandchildren.  We talked a lot about that.  Not far into the conversation, we discovered another thing we had in common.  

We both really love Jesus.

That was all it took.  Somehow that opened a door to so many other things.  Many of the struggles that I wrestle with and have never really found the right person to share with, I shared with her.  She even opened up about something very painful in her life.  

And I counseled her.  I felt led by the Spirit to be real and bring truth to this 71 year old woman that God saw fit to sit me next to on an airplane.  She was receptive and even told me I was very wise.  How about that?

Here's the best part.  We exchanged phone numbers before we got off the plane.  And I really think she'll call me.  I sure hope so.  I've been praying for her, and hope we can do lunch some time.

As we walked away from her, Frank (who I had completely ignored the entire flight) says, "Did you make a little friend?"

Yes.  Yes I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment